Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Where the streets have no names> Travels

I arrived in Seoul yesterday and have spent the past two days going to tall places to look down upon this enormous city. It's ringed by mountains so all of the smog gets trapped in, which makes for foggy pictures. Like Japan, they don't name the roads here. (Maybe Bono would want to live in Seoul.) To find an address you need to know which neihborhood it is in and then the name of the block. The actual building numbers are handed out in order of when the building went up. I wish I were making this up. This makes for a tricky time in finding anything: restaurants, hotels, bail bondsmen... Come on Asians, get it together! You invented gunpowder, paper and kareoke yet you can't name your streets?
So last night I decided I would take it upon myself to name some of the streets. Tonight, with the help of a French couple I met, I will go around town with a permanent marker and write some street names on the buildings. My hope is these will eventually be accepted by the city and used in future maps. They can thank me later.

3 Comments:

At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh I will thank you now....don't get lost, but if you do you better write about it...

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Claire said...

you are so not in Seoul. You are so not with Bono either. You made all that up. You are currently in Germany. I know. The question is: how the hell did you get on the Swedish football team and pass as Henrick Larsson?

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger Larry Beethoven said...

You figured me out. Henrrick Larsson is gagged, bound and tied to a heating pipe in the basement of an Essen internet cafe. I was able to pass as him because Jag Prota Sveska fluentanda.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map
LarryB's Europe travel map. Click this link to create your personalized map of europe