Friday, June 16, 2006

It's not a virgin, but it's still under warrenty> Travels

I am now in Fukuoka on Japan's western tip. this keyboard has a lot of trouble with caps locks so please just let it go already. enough! anyway, I am staying in a capsule hotel tonight which i can write about later and also just drank a big glass of warm sake. thinking about it I also took a lot of pictures today, so i guess i am turning japanese. i really think so. interesting fact: Fukuoka was the original target of the second a-bomb, but after several passes of the city which was covered in clouds, our pilots flew over to nearby nagasaki which unfortunatly for them had a break in the clouds. have so many lives depended on a cloudy sky in any point in history?

Before coming here i spent the day in the Aso-san region. Aso-san has the world's largest active volcano caldera.
On a side note, my cheap digital watch, which i use for travel, somehow had a function turned on over the past five days where it beeps on the hour every hour. this is pretty damned annoying. well today i needed it because I was in a time crunch to do my hike and turn around on the trail in enough time to make it back for the last bus. Well I noticed the watch wasn't beeping anymore and then i noticed that it was stuck on the date function and i could no longer see the time. So it was now useless instead. listen, I am no charity and if you can't be usefull you're not going to be on my wrist for very long. This watch had pissed me off one to many times. I attached it to a big rock and approached the edge of a caldera with a smoking lake of sulfer boiling below. it was then that the watch started working showing me the time.
unfortunatly for the watch, that time was 2:59 and 58 seconds. three seconds and one beep later the watch was well on its way to a very painful end. yeah, that's how i roll. i hope i appeased the volcano gods with this new gift. luckily i had my ipod to keep time for me, which thankfully still works. (and if you don't think that was a thinnly vieled threat to the ipod, you don't know me well enough)

2 Comments:

At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you need a 1982 casio alarm chrono WR.

These watches are damned indestructable. They are available at Kmart for about $20. or Zellers in Canada for $25.

good luck

 
At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wearing mine when I met Paul Haggis the other day at a cocktail party. He did not notice the watch. which just proves, the watch is also discreet. It has the function where it beeps every hour. But I have managed to work out how to turn off that annoying function.
Now, I will conquer the DVD remote control.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map
LarryB's Europe travel map. Click this link to create your personalized map of europe