Sunday, June 18, 2006

Thoughts on Japan>Travels

I really enjoyed my time in Japan and I would like to have the chance to live there at some point. Actually, I'd recommend teaching English there for a year to anybody who has just graduated college and is looking for something to do before getting a real job. The Japanese people were for the most part very nice and tried to be helpful. Their culture is wonderfully different than ours and I guess the best way to describe them for me would be cute and weird and I mean that in the best possible way. They have actually inspired me to write a book I plan on titling, "Japanese are cute." It's the sequel to "Canadians are polite" and the prequel to "Koreans smell like cabbage." Some tips for those who plan on visiting Nippon:

Go out of your way to see a baseball game. Try to see one in Osaka or Tokyo for the best stadiums.
It is pretty easy to get templed out. Try to figure out which ones are unique and seek those out.
Make sure you stay at a few Ryokan and at least one night in a capsule hotel.
If you want any nightlife in Tokyo, stay near the night life districts as the subways stop running at midnight and the taxis are expensive
Eat as much shaved ice as possible
Always carry around a trash bag or small plastic garbage can. They have no public garbage cans so this is how they do it. I told you they were weird.
Avoid direct eye with people older than you. Wait for them to look you in the eye first. Otherwise you will be showing them a great amount of disrespect.
Get any travel guide other than the lonely planet Japan, which sucks.
Putting wasabi in someone's green tea ice cream is NOT funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map
LarryB's Europe travel map. Click this link to create your personalized map of europe