Sunday, June 18, 2006

Somewhere between a womb and a tomb> Travels

So the capsule hotel was great. I think I may have gone to an upmarket one as the place was pretty flash and looked like a three and a half star hotel from the outside and the inside. I actually lost a bit of face when I didn't take off my shoes when walking into the lobby. One of the receptionists quickly ushered me to a nearby locker and had me lock up my shoes. I then checked in and recieved a key that was on a plastic bracelet like you would get at a water park. I was told to put all of my things into another locker on the second floor and change into pajamas. The PJs had an asian design and were kind of silky. The top was short sleaved and bottoms were shorts. I then took the elevator to the fourth floor to find my capsule. It was in a very large room with hundreds of other capsules stacked two high. I had an upper capsule. Inside there was a pretty large screen tv, radio, alarm clock, fan and enough headroom to sit up.
I then went upstairs to the rec area where I found many hundreds of 40-50 year old Japanese business men in identical pajamas eating, watching soccer on personal tv sets or reading manga cartoons. It was odder than that sounds. Please note I was the only white guy in the hotel (Also, this, like most capsule hotels, is men only) and I got a lot of strange looks.
I then went to the top floor spa. I kind of followed the actions of the other pajamed men and disrobed, storing my PJs in a little locker and then went to one of the sit down showers that were arranged in rows. They had tooth brushes, disposable razers, shaving cream, hair stuff, brushes and so on. I sat on a stool and washed myself up good before walking over to one of the many multi tempertured onsen bathes (hot tubs), all the while keeping a little wash cloth over my junk as all the other men seemed to be doing. Later I watched some world cup soccer on a big screen tv in a sauna. It was too hot to cheer.
The whole things reminded me of the Sienfeld episode where Kramer had three Japanese men sleeping in a dresser. I actually slept pretty well that night. My capsule felt somehere between a womb and a tomb, which I guess it technically is.

2 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you made it to the capsule hotel. Sounds very interesting. Elizabeth is pissed that it is men only. She wants to sleep in a capsule. Have fun in Korea. - Crazy A

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as you didn't get locked in the actual 'drawers' (unlike the Seinfeld episode) it's all good.

I'm guessing the washcloth didn't offer much shape for your junk...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map
LarryB's Europe travel map. Click this link to create your personalized map of europe