Monday, May 08, 2006

Hauchstemplersburg, Germany > travels with the Pink Wizard



So the Pink Wizard has caught the travel bug!

Annoyed with a kvetching wife and a crying baby, I got on a plane yesterday to Germany. I then rented a Peugot and drove randomly, taking a right here, a left there, not at all caring where I was going. And I ended up in a quaint town called Hauchstemplersburg.

The building with the spire is the Hauchstemplersburg Castle on Knauchblachstrasse. It was built in 1606 in honor of Duke Maximillian von Hauchstempler, who defeated the Tartar invaders in 1602. The architecture is simply exquisite. I couldn't go inside though because I forgot my papers. The Germans don't let you do anything unless you have your "papers."

While in Hauchstemplersburg, I also had time to visit St. Gunther's Cathedral. Its absolutely stunning. It was partially destroyed by allied bombing during WWII, but they did a nice job reconstructing it. Notice the flying buttresses.


And finally,I visited Schmarpelstadt -- a small hamlet adjoining Hauchstemplersburg. The town square goes back to Medieval times. here is a German pizzeria called "Arturos" which is absolutely disgusting. Stay away fromthe German pizza.

3 Comments:

At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hear the Roman Gourmet is the way to go for pizza in Schmarpelstadt. They make good strudel too.

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photos make me yearn for the good old days in the Vaterland.
Danke schön

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map
LarryB's Europe travel map. Click this link to create your personalized map of europe