Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Norway> Country Facts: with NationMaster and the Rough Trio

For the 2nd in my 193 part series I will look at Norway. On May 6th I will be visiting this country for the first time. Norway is:

#1 on the Human Development Index. I believe that means they develop humans better than any other country. (Also cats) The USA is #10

#1 in drug offences per capita. The USA is #4

#1 on Electricity consumption per capita, followed closely by Iceland. I am guessing that has to do with heating.

#1 on trust. 65% of Norwegians reported in a 1990’s surveys that people can be trusted. The US, 44%.

#1 on will fight for their country. 90% of Norwegians would fight for their country. Ok, so I guess I will cancel my planned coup d'état. The US comes in #5 at 78%. I am guessing that percentage has gone down in the past few years.

#1 in winter Olympics medals all time. 263 medals collected. To put that in perspective the US is #2 with 193 medals.

#2 in GDP per capita. They would be #1 if it weren’t for Luxembourg. The US is #7. Norway also closely follows Luxembourg in Economic aid donations per capita.

#1 on Norwegians per capita. I figured that would be the case.

2 Comments:

At 2:00 PM, Blogger Claire said...

Those are interesting stats indeed, Larry. I will commit them to memory, so that I can later impress people at cocktail parties. (Of course, I will not tell you about those parties, lest you'd show up and steal my thunder). Do you know where I could find similar stats about Sweden?

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Larry Beethoven said...

What they won't tell you is Sweden has the most people named Ingmar in the world.
http://www.nationmaster.com/country/sw/Top-Rankings

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map
LarryB's Europe travel map. Click this link to create your personalized map of europe