Saturday, May 20, 2006

Irish Eddie> Travels


Yesterday I visited Oxford of University fame and Salisbury (of steak fame). Oxford was worth the visit. Great architecture, tons of history. I met with my friend James who took me for a tour of his hometown and we had proper afternoon tea and scones. Good times! I then caught a train to Salisbury, which has one England's nicest Medieval cathedrals (Medieval Times!) and is about 8 miles from Stonehenge. That night I stayed in a room that a pub rented to me on the cheap and played some pool with the locals. This was the kind of tiny Neighborhood pub that are on every corner in England and by the quality of their play, I am guessing the people I played with were fixtures. There was one short fella who went by the name of Irish Eddie. I'll post a picture of him eventually. He was Irish and acted the part. I played doubles against him and a woman named Caroline who was a lot better than me. (British table have tiny balls and tiny pockets with rounded edges which make the game much more difficult when you aren't used to it. A big guy named John was kind enough to carry me on his back to several wins. He had a black eye and smelled of elderberry. Not unpleasant at all, just distinct. Probably good for my cold too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map
LarryB's Europe travel map. Click this link to create your personalized map of europe