Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Prague Coat of Arms> Travels

My Mother and Brother visited me this past week and with them I saw the sites of Prague. Because I have nothing better to write about I will put up a couple of posts with photos. On the first day they were here we went into the old Prague town hall and saw these four coats of arms for the city.

So in the first one, on the door, you can see the original, three spires and a city gate. Then, as you can see over the door, when Prague became part of a larger Czech Kingdom they threw on the lions and a crown.

In the second picture you can see Prague as part of Austro Hungarian Empire. Notice the double eagle, symbol of the empire above the crown. They also added a beefy arm with a sword inside the gate. This is to symbolize a great victory in the Hussite wars.

In the third picture you can see the current coat of arms, the Lion with a crown symbolizing Czech nationhood. What's missing from this selection is the coat of arms during the Soviet days. I am told instead of the lion, crown or double bird there was a red star. Anyway, I found this all interesting. Yeah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map
LarryB's Europe travel map. Click this link to create your personalized map of europe