Monday, March 13, 2006

E-file> (Somewhat) Angry Rant!!!

I was on the phone with H and R block, waiting on hold as I started writing this rant. The thing is, I did my own taxes this year. I spent several hours going through my records filling out the forms and then expected to be able to go online and use the US government’s e-file system. This allows you to file online instead of sending in the forms by mail, which would be a big pain for me for a number of reasons. So then why am I talking to H and R block?

Because the US government no longer has an e-file system that simply allows you to copy the data you filled in on paper onto electronic forms. Nope. They make you use a third party company, such as H and R Block and use their online filing systems. They are free, which is nice, but filled with forceful options to use their paid services and with a system that can be difficult to navigate and led me to this phone call when I received an error message because the system got confused about my IRA. My question is why doesn't the government have their own system? I have a feeling the accountanistas lobbied them to make us use third party systems. My rage has since cooled now that my filing is done so this isn't quite the rant I had in my mind at the time I was on the phone. Damn this cool head of mine! I was going to write a letter to my local Senator and Representative, but now I am just banking on them checking out my blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map
LarryB's Europe travel map. Click this link to create your personalized map of europe