Monday, January 30, 2006

Rookie Cop> Officer Beethoven

Last night I had my first shift as a volunteer on Prague's police force. They assigned me to partner with Vaclav, a grizzled 15 year veteran of the force. He was supposed to show me the ropes, teach me what to do, how to maintain law and order, but the fact that he wasn't speaking to me made all of those lessons mute. Literally. I would ask him a question and he would just grumble out something unitelligible. Eventually I said, "Damnit Vaclav, I know I'm a rookie, but you've got to talk to me!"
Vaclav uttered in a gruff tone, "All you volunteer cops are the same. You come to Prague on vacation to see our wonderful architecture and drink cheap beer. You then find out that you can get free theatre tickets if you join the police force and next minute I am dragging some silly looking bastard on my beat. You can tag along, but that doesn't mean I gotta talk to you."
I said, "Free theatre tickets?"
He said "Yeah."
"Uh, I had no clue about the free theatre tickets"
"Really?"
"Really."
It was then that Vaclav took me by surprise with a sudden embrace. "Sorry...it's just that I have been hurt so many times...by you volunteer cops."
I pulled away from his arms and said, "Uh, its OK. I understand."
He then said, "Right, lets get to work."
Unfortunately it was then that my half an hour shift was over and I had to get to a dinner party. Jimmy, a study abroad student from one of the Dakotas showed up right in time to replace me.
I said to him, "Is this your first time?"
Jimmy nodded yes.
"Don't worry about it, just tell Vaclav how much you are looking forward to the free theatre tickets. You'll be in like flyn."

2 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Ultimate madness said...

Brilliant! I could almost picture this. I guess you're either having a great time, or a really bad one (having to join the police force in a Russian mafia-like country).
Keep up the good work. The law enforcement agents need men like you, sensitive, caring, feminine… to give them a bit of appreciation and tenderness. I bet Vaclav won’t forget about you (eheheh).

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Larry Beethoven said...

That ehehehe sounds like a certain Pedromoto I know. Still in England?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map
LarryB's Europe travel map. Click this link to create your personalized map of europe