Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Doug Moldover In Greece> Guest Columnist

LarryB has asked me to write the occasional guest post for this blog. I am a construction worker from Fort Wayne, Indiana and like Larry, I enjoy traveling. For Christmas I went to Greece and I would like to share some of my favorite sites with you.

The first is a 16th century Venetian lighthouse in the port town of Hania on the island of Crete pictured below.

As you can see they are doing some restoration work on it. I wasn’t disappointed in the least. Check out the scaffolding! Simple, but elegant. 2 inch pipes, 8 tiers and some supporting cables. Wow!

Another one of my favorite sites was the Parthenon, a 2,444 year old temple dedicated to the goddess Athena, covered in 21st century scaffolding.

If you read this Rick, doesn’t that Crane remind you of the one we used on the PNC Bank job? I think ours was blue though.

Last of the sites is the Erechtheion, sharing the Acropolis with the Parthenon, it is considered to be the supreme example Ionic Architecture.

Personally I consider it to be the supreme example of Sectional Steel Scaffolding. You can see the care they used not to damage the columns.

I hope you enjoyed this column,
Doug Moldover

3 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger Libby said...

Oh dear.

;-)

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Larry Beethoven said...

You know you miss Doug. Didn't you travel with him in Italy?

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug, I like you, I hope to hear more from you in the future.

Larry - Happy New Years mate!

I am not dead yet! Let's hope I don't die in 2006!

I also hope you do not die.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure if dedicating the film to you is something I'm altogether comfortable with, though the promise holds.

So - LIVE !!!!

yay.
lunchtime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


create your own visited country map
LarryB's Europe travel map. Click this link to create your personalized map of europe